Today is the 14th of December, which means we have exactly 10 days left to buy and wrap our Christmas presents. I saw several posts on other blogs listing possible options: a fitness blog had a whole list of fitness bits and bobs: water bottles, towels, running shoes, sports watches etc. A travellers’ blog had things travellers may appreciate like a money belt, a camera, ear plugs, luggage etc. A gardeners’ blog had packets of seeds, gardening books, gardening forks and spades, bulbs and so forth.
Of course, I felt the urgent need to write a similar post.
Only…what would this blog’s readers be interested in? This blog is mostly about mindfulness and about how people can join us for equine-guided mindfulness retreats.
What I need to decide, is what would be the most useful as a present, not too expensive, easily accessible and quickly wrappable. With 10 days left, I thought of what I am going to do. I have not bought any one’s gifts yet (I was BUSY!) and I live in the middle of nowhere so anything that can be delivered by post in time for Christmas Eve would do the trick – which means most of Amazon’s books. It makes sense to me to offer as presents books that I have found useful, about a subject close to my heart – anything about mindfulness – or anything about horses healing people.
Below, I have listed 10 books about Mindfulness that I would recommend. I also thought that since I am going to spend rather a lot of money this month on presents, I should make an effort to earn some, so you’ll find a direct link to Amazon below some of the books : « Buy Such and Such… ». The books are no more expensive than if you bought it directly on Amazon, but if you click on the link below the picture, I earn a minute commission. The choice is yours though, you can just as easily go to Amazon and buy the book there. I found free previews of two of the books in pdf form: Meditation in Plain English and The Meditation Solution.
Here is my list. If you know of anyone that is interested in mindfulness or that would benefit from an effective way to cope with stress and anxiety, then one of these books would be a good choice. My current favourite is the Faith Postures one.
2. Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World – by Mark Williams
3. A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook– by Bob Stahl
4. Faith Postures: Cultivating Christian Mindfulness – by Holly Sprink
5. The Mindful Way through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life – by Susan M. Orsillo PhD
6. Wherever You Go, There You Are – by Jon Kabat-Zinn
7. Mindfulness in Plain English – by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana Free Preview: Mindfulness in Plain English Book Preview
8. Mindfulness for Beginners: How to Relieve Stress and Find Joy in Every Moment – by Katie Anderson
9. The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems – by Ronald Siegel Free Preview: Mindfulness Solution Chapter 1
We have several of these books (and quite a few others!) on site that our workshop participants can dip into while attending a retreat here. Often guests will grab a book and disappear for a quiet read on a deck chair next to the lake, or in a hammock in the woods, or on a bench on the island in the lake…while enjoying the late afternoon sunshine and a cup of redbush tea or a glass of ice-cold spring water.